When lots of patients in my office who asked about what the differences between these HPV vaccination, Gardasil 9 and Gardasil 4. In this article it will answer for all those questions in the details.
Which HPV subtype could have been protected from?
- Gardasil 4 has a protection against HPV 6, 11, 16 and 18.
- Gardasil 9 has a protection against HPV 6, 11, 16, 18, 31, 33, 45, 53 and 58.
How much efficacy rating which can be protected from cervical cancer?
- Gardasil 4 has been reported around 70% protection against cervical cancer.
- Gardasil 9 has been reported around 90% protection against cervical cancer.
How about the protection rate against penile cancer in gentlemen?
- Still haven’t the well-constructed literatures on Gardasil injection for male yet. But, the currently evidence show that Gardasil injection has benefit on HPV protection yet lower in cost-effectiveness than female vaccination.
How about the protection rate of a genital warts?
- Gardasil 4 has been reported around 77% protection against genital warts.
- Gardasil 9 has no any updated the efficacy of against genital warts yet, but more protection rate than Gardasil-4 is prospected.
Since 1 complete course of Gardasil injections are 3 jabs in total (0, 2 and 6 months). Can we get any protection from the first jab?
- Yup! You can get somewhat protection immediately after the first jab. There was a paper from Spain since 2017 that 61% protection rate can be received at a single Gardasil-4 shot, but there’s no a clearer report on how much it will last.
Will patients who previously had a history of HPV infection still get benefit for the Gardasil vaccination?
- Absolutely, yes! There was a good literature on 2009 which studied in 18,174 women and the result came up as Gardasil can give such protection even had previously being infected.
Gardasil 9 is a bit costly if comparing to the Gardasil 4, so you’re be able to make consideration over an options based on the above information which I was given. Any question, talk to your trusted urologist, or it would be my honor if you text me. Take care!