Whereas the patients at my office asking lots on prostate cancer prevention so in this topic, I will show you the 6 modifiable risk factors prostate cancer prevention strategy that you may consider and try to make it possible for your own. But in the meantime, you must know that prostate cancer also mainly related with ethnicity and family history which cannot be modified. Here we go! (The reference was from World Journal of Oncology 2019)
Evidence-based prostate cancer prevention
- Saturated animal fat – High intake of meat, fat and dairy products significantly increase the prostate cancer risk.
- Red meat – 5 or more serving of cooked meat per week shows higher risk of prostate cancer.
- Calcium – More than 2,000 mg of daily calcium intake associated with greater risk of prostate cancer.
- Crucifers’ vegetable – Can reduce prostate cancer risk. (Example of Crucifers’ – Broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cauliflower, cabbage)
- Dietary soy and green tea – Catechins in green tea and Isoflavones in soybean shows protective effect against prostate cancer.
- Tomatoes and lycopene – Lycopene is a potent antioxidant and has protective effect against prostate cancer. There was a study showed that 2 – 4 serving of tomato sauce per week can decrease prostate cancer risk.
- Vitamin and mineral supplements
- Vitamin D – Vitamin D deficiency might increase risk of prostate cancer.
- Selenium – 50 – 60% prostate cancer risk reduction in high Selenium consumption.
- Alcohol consumption
- Heavy alcohol intake associated with higher risk of prostate cancer.
- 5% prostate cancer risk increases for 1 regular alcoholic drink per day.
- 21% prostate cancer risk increases for 4 regular alcoholic drinks per day.
- Coffee intake
- Coffee consumption shows protective effect on prostate cancer activity
- Interesting that the heavier coffee consumption per day, the more likely to prevent against aggressive type of prostate cancer.
- Obesity and high body mass index (BMI) associated with aggressive type of prostate cancer.
- Exercise is the easiest way in prostate cancer prevention.
- There was an interesting paper showed prostate cancer patients who did a regular exercise and delay the hormonal therapy for 2 years compared with non-active one.
- Cigarette smoking
- Most of studying had not been shown any relation between smoking and incidence of prostate cancer.
- On the other hand, if the prostate cancer patients do smoking, their cancer-specific mortality rate will be double.
Prostate cancer is one of the most common malignancies in male generally; it’s being shown at general health checkup screening. Prostate cancer prevention strategy is also the important tool in patient education for making them better understanding and consider life-style modification before it is too late. See you in next article!