Today we are going to discuss about MRI prostate. As I always told you in the beginning related to the prostate cancer, thing that I have mentioned to is, this disease more likely limited in aggressiveness. The patient’s pathogenesis will begin with a rising Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) blood test from the medical health checkup program that handled to Urology clinic to discuss about the pros and the cons of the definite tissue biopsy, and then make a diagnosis of prostate cancer. The question is do all prostate cancer’s patients need to do the evaluation and diagnosis? The answer is probably “not”! I’m going to show you the evidence-based data.
There’s an interesting paper from USA since 2007 that they performed an autopsy in elderly man with an average age of 64 years who dead naturally without any history of prostate cancer and below are the conclusion results.
- 29% of autopsy patients were positively in prostate cancer.
- Of those 29%, it took 70% for non-aggressive prostate cancer that might not need to do anything.
These data shows that you might not need to be done such a painful prostate needle biopsy procedure that sometimes it can cause complications for example bloody urination, bloody stool, bloody ejaculation or even life-threatening blood stream infection.
Anyway, if the biopsy is necessary to be done, we could make it done. The problem is, how can we avoid unnecessary prostate biopsy? The MRI prostate is the essential tool for urologist; here are the Pros and Cons of MRI prostate for cancer surveillance.
Pros of MRI Prostate
- Non-invasive imaging tool which gives us tremendous data on prostate gland anatomy.
- Give very details information for urologist in order to focus on the biopsy for suspicious part of prostate gland.
- Up to 90% accuracy rate on detecting the non-aggressive prostate cancer which leads to avoid unnecessary prostate biopsy.
- Up to 70% successful positive biopsy rate when MRI prostate has suspected the aggressive type of prostate cancer comparing to the other 30% successful positive biopsy rate if do the biopsy without MRI.
- 51% reduction rate on unnecessary prostate biopsy.
Cons of MRI Prostate
- Sometimes need to push an aluminum coil into rectum during MRI procedure that sound very creepy and it makes discomfort feeling.
- It is not a definite investigation for prostate cancer detection, if still has an opaque suspicious, and then the prostate’s biopsy will never let goes.
Prostate cancer has brought a lot of mentally related issue to whom who suspected of this kind of disease and I hope that you guys will beneficial and learn from this content. If you have more questions, please discuss with your trusted urologists. And it would be my honor if you text ฉัน. Take care!