This topic will focus on uric acid kidney stone. Since there are lots of patients asked me on, is there any effective oral therapy to resist kidney stone? The quickest answer is, yes! There is an option on oral therapy, but depends on type of kidney stone which you have suffered. The issue needs so much explanation and cost me a plenty of time to make it clearer. That’s why it’s got to be here to show you.
First, you must know the kidney stone epidemiology before we’re getting into more details. Kidney stones composition can be roughly divided into 2 majors group.
- Calcium-containing kidney stone – 90% epidemiology
- Uric acid-containing kidney stone – 10% epidemiology
Bad news, the majority type of kidney stone, Calcium stone must be treated as a surgical intervention and cannot be treated with an oral therapy, so if you are the one that suffering from kidney stone without do any specific investigation yet, there is only 10% chance of getting an oral medication to get rid of the kidney stone.
How to make sure that you have had a uric acid stone?
We will split it into a provisional and definite investigation
- Provisional diagnosis for uric acid kidney stone
- Acidic urine pH from urine examination
- Less stone density which can be answer from CT scan modality
- Definite diagnosis
- Uric acid stone translated result from a stone analysis
- Which mean we must catch the kidney stone and send it to a special-equipped laboratory.
How the uric acid kidney stone is being treated by non-surgery?
- Diet modification
- Highly intake of fruits and vegetables – especially orange juice and lemonade
- Avoid too much animal protein intake
- At least 2,500 mL of fluid intake daily as recommendation
- Medical treatment
- Urine alkalinization by Potassium citrate therapy – The objective of this therapy is trying to turn urine pH to neutral which can dissolve the uric acid kidney stone.
- Anti-gout medication – Gout is also related with uric acid kidney stone.
How to monitor the proper treatment outcome?
- Urologist will make a regular checkup for
- Urine pH – Optimal urine pH must be around 6.5 – 7.0
- Imaging stuff such as ultrasound or CT scan – The reduction of kidney stone size means a successful oral therapy is.
If the oral therapy isn’t work, what should we do next?
- Well, there’s no any other option beside the surgical management, for instant.
- Extracorporeal shockwave lithotripsy (ESWL)
- Endoscopic laser surgery
For more details on uric acid kidney stone, please talk to your trusted urologist or text to me. I’m great to hear that and I will see you in next article!
You can visit my homepage here.