Today, we are going to focus on HPV PCR urine test. It has been several years practicing here in Cambodia, there’re more patients being here at my urology office were seeking some advice on Human Papilloma virus infection issue or HPV. We are all known that this viral infection can leads to the following problems.
- Risk of penile cancer in men and Cervical cancer in women
- Risk of genital warts
One of the most common questions is “What was the proper investigation for HPV detection?” Well, today we’re going to dig more about that.
Basically, the specimen that rich in HPV particle is genital secretion, so the best investigation for HPV detection must be genital swab for PCR (Polymerase chain reaction method). Unfortunately, there were several difficulty reasons in term of genital swab collecting procedure for examples.
- Painful during collecting the genital secretion specimen
- Scared or shied during collecting method
That is why HPV PCR in urine specimen is invented. It is simple, non-invasive, and reliable method.
How can we get a good HPV PCR urine sample?
- First urine in the morning gains the most concentrated HPV particle which maximize detection rate.
How much the detection rate we can prospect from HPV PCR in urine specimen if comparing to HPV PCR in genital swab?
- 81.5% detection rate is reported.
Which type of HPV can be detected from HPV GenoArray PCR technique?
- 21 HPV types can be detected which will be divided into
- 15 High-risk types (risk of penile or cervical cancer) – 16, 18, 31, 33, 35, 39, 45, 51, 52, 53, 56, 58, 59, 66 and 68.
- 6 Low-risk types (risk of genital warts) – 6, 11, 42, 43, 44 and 81.
HPV PCR in urine specimen shows acceptable detection rate if comparing to the gold standard investigation and can be considered as a good alternative way for Urology practicing. Any questions, talk to your trusted Urologist, or it would be my honor if you text me. Take care!
You can visit my official homepage here.