Children as well as adults have been visited my Urology office. There’s one symptom that very commonly complaint in pediatric patients, and that is “Child urinary frequency”. The urinary frequency normally concomitant with urinary urgency, in medical professional categorized them as a syndrome called Overactive bladder syndrome (OAB). This syndrome OAB has been reported perhaps 23% begun at age 5 years old and it will drop down to 12% while at 13 years old with a negatively impact on self-esteem along with the impairs of their development.
Let’s jump to the point and the definition of urinary frequency and urgency.
- Daytime – Small amount of voiding volume which is more than 8 times a day.
- Nighttime – One or more nighttime urinating
- Sense of urgent urinating and they may not make it to the toilet before the urine begins to flow.
While we have confirmed the diagnosis; with a full history taking; physical examination and laboratory investigation, then we will discuss about the treatment plan that would be divided into conservative treatment and oral medication.
- Conservative treatment
- Educate children and families about Child urinary frequency’s nature condition along with setting goal of treatment
- Voiding-interval – scheduled voiding time for every 2 – 3 hours during daytime
- Teaching a proper voiding technique – children should split their legs little bit and a foot stand should be helping to balance their foot when the toilets does not fit to them.
- Minimize fluid intake before bedtime
- Beverages that could be triggered an OAB – Caffeine drinks, chocolates, citrus and carbonated drinks
- Improving the constipation conditions
- Oral medication
- Oxybutynin is the only pharmacological oral agents which approved by the US FDA for OAB treatment in children
- The common side effects from Oxybutynin are dry mouth, dry eyes, dry skins and constipation
There are varieties of alternative off-label oral tablets or even intravesical botulinum toxin injection in case a severe Child urinary frequency is encountered. But the important part of the treatment that we shouldn’t forget is, patient and family’s counseling educating along with setting a realistic goal of the treatment.
If you have any questions on Child urinary frequency, you can discuss with your trusted Urologist or it would be my pleasure if you text me. See you around!
As a parental obligation and responsibility, we consider on something that could possibly put our kids away from the unnecessary operation right? The non-retractile preputial skin or in medical term “Phimosis”, is a common issue in pediatric urology sector came along with a very frequently questions, for example; Does my son must do pediatric circumcision?…