It was one of the most complaining issue in my office and it is gradually annoying urinary symptoms especially for the elderly male. The complaint can be manifested with a various kind of symptoms as following;
- Weak urinary stream which make straining habits
- Inability to completely empty the bladder
- Increased frequency urination at night and felt fatigue in the morning
- Frequent to urinate
- Urgent need to urinate
- Dribbling and splitting stream while urination
These symptoms might be a benign prostatic disease or we called it in a medical word. “Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.” Basically, we’ve suspected BPH mostly in male whose age 50 years old up, you know why? Because there has been 3 fulfilled requirements in BPH.
- Male having the prostate gland
- BPH will no longer occur in female or in some male who suffering from genetic disease that cause their prostate gone right?
- Male possess the male’s hormone – Androgen.
- Androgen is an essential hormone that has been driven the prostatic growth. There is a classical literature shows that for some male who suffered from an androgen insufficiency syndrome at their birth, so they definitely no longer suffering from a BPH at all.
- Aging progress
- A tons of literatures trying to explain why BPH happens and all concluded about the aging progress as a fundamental figure to pull the trig in BPH. The prostate gland will increasing both in term of cell number and cell size, that’s why we actually doing measure the prostate gland size for those who suspected.
Well, now you realized that it’s like nobody can say the word “so long” with the BPH even me, an Urologist. From papers in the U.S. shows that 50% for men who are 50 years up, there will be 70% in men between 60 and 69 years old, and more than 80% in men who are 70 years which possibly could’ve suffered from the BPH. But there’s a little light shedding in the dark den even though we have no choice to get rid of BPH though, but we still have way to postpone and prolong the suffering from the BPH if we can protect ourselves against the following modifiable risk factors as below.
- Metabolic syndrome
- There’s a strong evident papers shows that hypertension, diabetes and dyslipidemia significantly increasing the prostate size
- It is unclear related to the obesity, but it seems like obesity took part of increasing oxidative-stress particles inside the prostatic tissue
It just only the small aspect in BPH. But don’t be worried! I will keep adding more valuable information for you instantly and regularly. If you have more questions or you need to make the discussion, feel free to text or PM me, initially.